The DNOU8 Output duinoNode extends Arduino functionality by providing 8 high current digital output ports, using only 3 pins on the microcontroller. Multiple DNOU8 boards can be chained together to manage up to 256 outputs using just 3 pins! The Arduino Library for duinoNodes is included and will be added to your cart as a free item when you purchase this item.
Lew’s Duino Gear duinoNodes are easy-to-use boards that extend input and output functionality of Arduino and compatible microprocessors. Designed by and for model railroad hobbyists, our duinoNodes simplify the process of wiring and controlling inputs, such as buttons and switches, and outputs such as control panel indicators, relays, turnouts, layout lighting and lighting effects.
But that is not all:
- DNOU8 requires only 3 IO pins on a microprocessor to control the entire chain of up to 256 outputs!
- Power handling up to 500 mA per port,
- Multiple boards chain together serially with 3 wire cables; boards can be 18″ – 36″ apart without signal degradation.
- Small 74mm x 44mm footprint, space saving design makes duinoNodes easy to use on any layout.
- DNOU8 boards can be installed in a stack of up to 6 boards, providing up to 48 outputs and reduced wiring. Perfect for high density output needs, such as dense control panels or complex lighting on your layout.
- Since each board is separately powered, total current handling capacity is limited only by the capacity of your power supply.
Here are just a few of the layout use cases for LDG DNOU8 Digital Output duinoNodes:
- Control relays and non-servo turnout motors (stall motor or coil type)
- Control Panel Indicators
- Create a Signal system
- Crossing Gates
- Reversing relays
- Layout lighting
- Motorized animations
Common Anode Configuration
The DNOU8 Output duinoNode is in common anode configuration, where a single voltage source services all attached devices, and port switching is on the “sink” or ground side of the circuit. NJ International, among others, wire their model railroad signals, crossings and other devices in common anode configuration. Those models are plug & play with this board. Any standard LED device, including everything in the Woodland Scenics’ Just Plug™ line of products, can be run with the DNOU8!
Common anode wiring allows significantly greater power handling capability than would be possible otherwise, with some additional benefits:
- Logic (always +5v) and device power are separate requiring only a common ground (but can be fed by the same power source; multiple power sources are an option, not a requirement).
- Device voltage can be up to 30 volts DC.
- duinoNodes can handle inductive loads such as from motors and relays.
Individual devices connect simply: the anode or supply side is connected to one of the shared V++ terminals, ground side is connected to an individual port terminal. Each port has a 470Ω resistor built-in, allowing most LED devices to be attached to the board without additional resistors if the V++ is 12 volts or less; if V++ is greater than 12 volts you may need additional resistors. Multiple devices can be connected to a single port so long as the total power draw does not exceed board limits.