Enhance your Layout with Extended I/O Capacity
Lew’s Duino Gear duinoNodes are easy-to-use boards that extend input and output functionality of Arduino and compatible microprocessors (for example: ESP series WiFi microcontrollers) . Designed by and for model railroad hobbyists, our duinoNodes simplify the process of wiring and controlling inputs, such as buttons and switches, and outputs such as control panel indicators, relays, turnouts, layout lighting and lighting effects.
- DNIN8, the Digital Input duinoNode, provides 8 digital inputs for buttons, switches and digital sensors, on a small footprint board that simplifies and reduces wiring. Multiple DNIN8 boards can be chained together to manage up to 256 inputs. This board is available in both assembled and kit form.
- DNOU8, the digital output duinoNode, extends Arduino functionality by providing 8 high current (up to 500 mA for all active outputs) digital output ports. Multiple DNOU8 boards can be chained together to manage up to 256 outputs. This board is available in both assembled and kit form.
A compact code library provides simple but effective tools for making the most of both boards.
But that is not all:
- Both boards require only 3 IO pins on a microprocessor to control the entire chain. So at the cost 6 IO pins, you can manage 256 inputs and 256 outputs!
- Both boards chain together serially with 3 wire cables; boards can be 18″ – 36″ apart without signal degradation.
- Small footprint, space saving design makes duinoNodes easy to use on any layout.
- DNOU8 boards can be installed in a stack of up to 6 boards, providing up to 48 outputs and reduced wiring with a 75mm x 45mm footprint. Perfect for high density output needs, such as dense control panels or complex lighting on your layout.
- Since each board is separately powered, your current handling capacity is limited only by the capacity of your power supply.
Here are just a few of the layout use cases for LDG DNOU8 Output duinoNodes:
- Control relays and non-servo turnout motors (stall motor or coil type)
- Control Panel Indicators
- Create a Signal system
- Crossing Gates
- Reversing relays
- Layout lighting
- Motorized animations
Common Anode Power Handling
All duinoNodes use the common anode configuration for device connections, where a single power source services all attached devices. All switching [or detection in the case of inputs] is on the “sink” or ground side of the devices.
This works well with most off-the-shelf model railroad layout accessories. NJ International, among others, wire their model railroad signals, crossings and other devices in common anode configuration. Those models are plug & play with this board. Any standard LED device, including everything in the Woodland Scenics’ Just Plug™ line of products, can be run with DNOU8 Output duinoNodes!
With DNOU8 Output duinoNodes, common anode wiring allows significantly greater power handling capability than would be possible otherwise. Each DNOU8 can handle up to 500 mA of continuous current, either spread across all 8 ports or concentrated at 1 or 2 ports. In contrast, the total power handing capacity of most Arduino boards is 200 mA amps, with no more than 20 mA at any one port.
- Each duinoNode has its own power feed (when stacked, all boards in the stack share a single power feed). On DNOU8, logic (always +5v) and device power are separate (but can be fed by the same power source); multiple power sources producing different voltages are supported, requiring only a common ground. Device voltage can be up to 30 volts DC, drawing up to 500 mA per board.
- duinoNodes can handle inductive loads such as from motors and relays.
WHERE TO BUY
The DNIN8 and DNOU8 are currently available in the Lew’s Duino Gear Store.